By Vanda Zajko,Helena Hoyle
- Reveals the significance of mythography to the survival, dissemination, and popularization of classical fantasy from the traditional international to the current day
- Features chronologically prepared essays that deal with varied units of myths that have been vital in each one historic period, in addition to their thematic relevance
- Features chronologically prepared essays that deal with various units of myths that have been vital in every one historic period, in addition to their thematic relevance
- Offers a chain of rigorously chosen in-depth readings, together with either well known and not more recognized examples
Read or Download A Handbook to the Reception of Classical Mythology (Wiley Blackwell Handbooks to Classical Reception) PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory_1 books
Meet Me at the Barricades is Harrison’s such a lot experimental paintings. the unconventional incorporates a sequence of fable sequences that culminate in a scene seriously indebted to the Nighttown episode in James Joyce’s Ulysses (the novel was once released a yr earlier than James Thurber’s better-known brief tale, “The mystery lifetime of Walter Mitty”).
This e-book examines the patience of the agricultural culture within the English novel into the 20 th century. within the shadow of metropolitan literary tradition, rural writing can appear to try for a delusion model of britain without compelling social or historic relevance. Dominic Head argues that the plain disconnection is, in itself, a reaction to modernity instead of a refusal to have interaction with it, and that the real writers during this culture have had an important relating the trajectory of English cultural existence throughout the 20th century.
Unearths the extraordinary parallels among indigenous cultures of the Americas and the traditional Homeric global in addition to Tolkien’s center Earth • Explores the shamanic use of therapeutic songs, psychoactive vegetation, and imaginative and prescient quests on the middle of the Odyssey and the delusion works of J. R. R. Tolkien • Examines Odysseus’s encounters with plant divinities, altered awareness, animal shapeshifting, and sacred topography--all strategies important to shamanism • unearths how the Odyssey emerged accurately on the rupture among smooth and primal awareness Indigenous, shamanic methods of therapeutic and prophecy aren't international to the West.
Quantity 2 of the main complete in-depth significant other to Tolkien’s existence and works ever released. This quantity features a superlative daily chronology of Tolkien’s existence, providing the main special biographical checklist to be had. The J. R. R. Tolkien spouse and consultant is a finished guide to 1 of the preferred authors of the 20th century.
- Aesthetics of Discomfort: Conversations on Disquieting Art
- Performance, Poetry and Politics on the Queen's Day: Catherine de Médicis and Pierre de Ronsard at Fontainebleau (Studies in Performance and Early Modern Drama)
- Women and Authorship in Revolutionary America (Women and Gender in the Early Modern World)
- Eating Otherwise: The Philosophy of Food in Twentieth-Century Literature
- The Metamorphoses of Ovid
Extra resources for A Handbook to the Reception of Classical Mythology (Wiley Blackwell Handbooks to Classical Reception)