By Terri Mullholland
Read or Download British Boarding Houses in Interwar Women's Literature: Alternative domestic spaces PDF
Best british & irish contemporary literature books
The industrial revolution of the 17th century deeply replaced English tradition. during this formidable ebook, Blair Hoxby explores what that financial transformation intended to the century’s maximum poet, John Milton, and to the wider literary culture within which he labored. Hoxby areas Milton’s workas good because the writings of up to date reformers just like the Levellers, poets like John Dryden, and political economists like Sir William Pettywithin the framework of England’s fiscal heritage among 1601 and 1724.
The courtship and remarriage of a wealthy widow used to be a well-liked motif in early glossy comedian theatre. Jennifer Panek brings jointly a wide selection of texts, from ballads and jest-books to sermons and courtroom documents, to check the staple widow of comedy in her cultural context and to ascertain early sleek attitudes to remarriage.
Among 1750 and 1820, tides of revolution swept the Atlantic global. From the hot commercial cities of significant Britain to the plantations of Haiti, they heralded either the increase of democratic nationalism and the following surge of imperial response. In Imagining the British Atlantic after the yankee Revolution, 9 essays give some thought to those innovative variations from a number of literary, visible, and old views.
In her well timed contribution to revisionist methods in modernist experiences, Lorraine Sim bargains a analyzing of Virginia Woolf's notion of standard adventure as printed in her fiction and nonfiction. Contending that Woolf's representations of daily life either recognize and supply a problem to characterizations of way of life as mundane, Sim indicates how Woolf explores the potential for daily event as a website of private which means, social knowing, and moral worth.
- Thomas De Quincey and the Cognitive Unconscious (Palgrave Studies in Literature, Science and Medicine)
- Samuel Beckett und das Theater des Absurden - Eine Analyse des Dramas "Waiting for Godot" (German Edition)
- The Methuen Drama Guide to Contemporary British Playwrights (Guides to Contemporary Drama)
- The Reproductive Unconscious in Late Medieval and Early Modern England (Studies in Medieval History and Culture)
- Forgetting in Early Modern English Literature and Culture: Lethe's Legacy (Routledge Studies in Renaissance Literature and Culture)
- The History of British Women's Writing, 1610-1690: Volume Three: 3
Additional resources for British Boarding Houses in Interwar Women's Literature: Alternative domestic spaces