By David Sandner
Read Online or Download Critical Discourses of the Fantastic, 1712–1831 PDF
Best british & irish contemporary literature books
The industrial revolution of the 17th century deeply replaced English tradition. during this bold publication, Blair Hoxby explores what that financial transformation intended to the century’s maximum poet, John Milton, and to the wider literary culture during which he labored. Hoxby areas Milton’s workas good because the writings of latest reformers just like the Levellers, poets like John Dryden, and political economists like Sir William Pettywithin the framework of England’s financial historical past among 1601 and 1724.
The courtship and remarriage of a wealthy widow was once a favored motif in early smooth comedian theatre. Jennifer Panek brings jointly a large choice of texts, from ballads and jest-books to sermons and courtroom files, to check the staple widow of comedy in her cultural context and to ascertain early glossy attitudes to remarriage.
Among 1750 and 1820, tides of revolution swept the Atlantic global. From the recent commercial cities of significant Britain to the plantations of Haiti, they heralded either the increase of democratic nationalism and the following surge of imperial response. In Imagining the British Atlantic after the yankee Revolution, 9 essays reflect on those innovative changes from various literary, visible, and historic views.
In her well timed contribution to revisionist techniques in modernist reviews, Lorraine Sim bargains a analyzing of Virginia Woolf's perception of standard event as printed in her fiction and nonfiction. Contending that Woolf's representations of daily life either recognize and supply a problem to characterizations of lifestyle as mundane, Sim exhibits how Woolf explores the potential for daily event as a website of non-public that means, social knowing, and moral price.
- Approaches to Teaching the Novels of Henry Fielding (Approaches to Teaching World Literature)
- Lovesickness and Gender in Early Modern English Literature
- Representing Revolution in Milton and his Contemporaries: Religion, Politics, and Polemics in Radical Puritanism
- Literature and the Encounter with God in Post-Reformation England
- The Monument of Matrones Volume 2 (Lamp 4): Essential Works for the Study of Early Modern Women, Series III, Part One, Volume 5 (The Early Modern Englishwoman: ... of Early Modern Women Series III, Part One)
- Making the Novel: Fiction and Society in Britain, 1660-1789
Additional resources for Critical Discourses of the Fantastic, 1712–1831